,

A Kit Kat Birthday Cake

3:20:00 pm


Like I mentioned in my last post, I offered to make my sister’s birthday cake this time, rather than order it from somewhere. She’s the biggest fan of my baking, and so she was happy with the idea, though my parents were a little wary (talk about encouraging your kids’ talents!!). Anyway, I found several versions of the Kit Kat cake all around the internet and decided to give it a try.


I baked two 8” round cakes using the Devil’s Food Cake recipe from here. I baked it on Saturday evening and let them cool completely and then wrapped them individually in foil.

On Sunday morning, I made the chocolate ganache. I used 250 g of chocolate and 200 ml of cream. This was actually a lot, and I ended up with leftovers. Anyway, I made the ganache and let it to cool at room temperature. Then I chilled it for about 25 minutes before assembling the cake.

Ok, now the assembly. Here’s the list of everything I used:

1. 2 8” cakes made as per the recipe here
2. Chocolate ganache, made thick and spreadable as mentioned above.

3. 35 Kit Kat fingers, I used a combination of 4 pk and 3 pk, broken into pairs.

4. 4 Marshmallow chains

5. Cadbury Gems – I needed only pinks and purples, so I used up 3 small packs.

6. Wide pink ribbon.

Note: You can skip the gems and fill up entirely with mini marshmallows.

The assembly of the cake was actually quite easy.


1. First, I leveled the tops of both the cakes and placed one cake upside down on the cake stand.

2. Generously coated the top with ganache, then placed the other cake right side up and pressed down gently.

3. Started covering the sides with ganache, starting from the part where the two cakes joined. Proceeded to cover all the sides and top, smoothing with a paletteknife.

4. Stuck the Kit Kat finger pairs on the side, placing closely without any gaps.

5. Tied a ribbon around the Kit Kats to hold them in place and trimmed the edges of the ribbon.

6. Arranged the marshmallow chains in a spiral fashion on the cake.

7. Filled the centre with pink and purple Gems. Chill for 5 minutes before taking out.

When cutting the cake, cut considering the 2 finger Kit Kat as a guide.

I thought of leaving the space in the middle for a candle, but at 17 years of age, my sis thinks she’s too old for birthday candles J.


So that was it!! Really easy to make, but quite impressive. Everyone was quite surprised and said it looked great!!! It also tasted really yum, the Devil’s Food Cake melting in my mouth with that smooth ganache.


What do you guys think of this cake? Do let me know if you have any suggestions for simple birthday cakes!! 

Source

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Wow!! Super impressive Fab ..you could give cake shops a run for their money! Love the addition of the pink bow:-)
    Kalyani

    Take a look at the new post for details about the give away - win a cute satchel plus more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kalyani!! That is a lovely compliment!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fab.i am sure now your parents won't doubt your baking & decorating skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And yes, they were very impressed, as was my grandma who till recently believed all I could make was an omelette!

      Delete
  3. Fab this is fab!!! I have been toying with the idea of making a kit Kat and you fantabulous effort has motivated me to take a stab at it soon. I am sure your sister would have swooned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was all smiles when the cake was unveiled!! Oh do try it out and post pictures - I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  4. Fab this is fab!!! I have been toying with the idea of making a kit Kat and you fantabulous effort has motivated me to take a stab at it soon. I am sure your sister would have swooned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks beautiful... i tried to attempt it last time but then it flopped!!! taking ur guidelines so that i can do this when my elder one's b'day comes in may!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rafeeda!! I wanted to take photos for a step by step tutorial kind of thing, but got all busy and forgot at the last minute :-(. But do try it out, and post photos too, can't wait to see how it comes out!

      Delete
  6. it looks wonderful! am sure your sister had a great birthday...that was so thoughtful of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ramya, for that sweet compliment :-)

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful! Almost too pretty to eat. ALMOST. :) Thanks for linking this up to Monday Funday!

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one super duper yummy cake, Fabida!! Devil's Cake, choco ganache, KitKat, Marshmellows, gems...*slurrp* what not to love :D Now am really really envious of your sis...*sigh* I wish i had one who would make me such yummy stuff :D :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Swarnali!!! I was really proud about how it turned out too :-).

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, Kit Kat Cake looks delicious! I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete